This year has been an excellent one for Hawke’s Bay winegrowers. The beautiful weather this season has meant we were able to harvest our Chardonnay grapes exactly when we wanted. We have high expectations for our Rangatira Reserve Chardonnay 2021!
But we have lots of work to do before these gorgeous grapes become award-winning wine;
– Our Reserve Chardonnay grapes are hand harvested. This means our pickers only select the best grapes – and they know what they are looking for!
– The grapes are then whole bunch pressed. This means the grapes are not de-stemmed before pressing. Less handling of the grapes leads to a more delicate, elegant wine.
– Then it is straight into French Oak Barriques (50% of which are new).
– It is then naturally fermented, and hand stirred in the barrel. This brings out the Chardonnay flavours that we love, and gives the wine a richer, or fuller body flavour.
– Finally, the wine is cellared for 12 months, before bottling, and drinking!
So while our Reserve Chardonnay may require extra time, care, and hard work, we certainly think it is worth it! We are looking forward to tasting already!
If you have any questions on our Chardonnay, or the process of any of our other varietals, please get in touch!